Sunday, January 6, 2013

Saturday Playdough time!

I'm happy to tell you our crafting time was a major success. We had no major melt downs or fighting. Our playdoh did not fail and the kids spent hours playing with it, actually most of the day.

Today I had 3 of my charmed ones and 2 of my lil men.
    I can truly tell you that even as a photographer this bunch NEVER, ever gives me a perfect picture but they always give me lots of lovin and happiness.

As I mentioned to you yesterday I wasn't sure which project I wanted to do with them. It was between play doh or bouncy balls. The play doh won out because the bouncy balls had to be stored in plastic after they were made and were not very bouncy. I can tell you that with my grands that would been a royal mess so I've opted I will be doing a bit more research on the subject and maybe a handful of my own scientific projects first.

We decided to try a different recipe than the one priorly used by Hanny B's momma and see how it came out.
I'm thrilled to tell you this recipe is a perfect success. We found our recipe @ Adelyn Stone Blog!
Perfect recipe.


The first thing we did of course was set the rules of our crafty session passed around the bowls and made got our crafting buddy. Jade with me, Bubby and lil man, then Ruby and Hanny B.

Next Jade and I divided the 1 cup of flour in half as well as dividing the salt apart so each person could add some to their bowls. I added the smaller ingredients and then we divided the water too. Of course they split the stirring time as well because that is only fair after all.  While we were doing this, I discussed with them what colors and flavors they liked the best because we chose to use food coloring and extracts for yummy smells for our play doh.


The boys picked the color and flavor of orange. Hanny B and Ruby picked Cherry and Pink because they are lil princesses. While Hailie and I picked Purple and Coconut because they are our favorite things.
The kids started stirring just as soon as the flour and other dry ingredients got into their bowl because they didn't want "lumpies" in their dough.








 Bubby was so fascinated by this fun project but he though for sure grammy was making him cookies. HA HA yes he loves chocolate and he loves food period. Doesn't he look so handsome in his new hair cut? He doesn't look like much of a baby anymore. My lilest grand is growing up to fast.
Lil man of course is sporting his awesome hair. This lil man loves his Mohawk cut that grammy gave him. I can't take credit for bubbys though...

 OH back to our play doh. Ha my mom calls those "bunny trails" when your mind wanders else where.


Ruby and Hanny B are working on special projects and that is sharing and not getting upset easy. That's why they got to team up. This is a great project to do if you want to help your lil ones get along and work together especially if you team them up to do the activity.

Then we added the water food coloring and extracts.
We definitely like colors that aren't your ordinary colors and they were awesome colors indeed

                                                                                                    






Stiring time and a peek at these cool colors prior to cooking.
I had to work with Hanny and Ruby to explain each of them will have lots of mixing time because there is ALOT of stirring involved.
Hanny B and Lil Man sure had fun with this project. Hanny really wanted to stop sharing at this point but she was such a big girl and didn't give up



.





.

Next came the cooking. It really helped while working with 5 kids to do the entire project in shifts or halves. While Ruby, lil Man and Hanny B continued to stir out any lumps, Jade began cooking her's














Be sure you don't let your kiddos handle the dough right of the bat. Let it set for a few because it will burn them if you don't. Once it's cooled down to a warm stage let them start shaping the dough into a ball so it's nice and mixed up.
Once the kids had that all done, I took the dough rolled it into a roll and divided it up in 5 pieces. One of each color for each of them. If you have left over mini play dough containers or Yogurt containers with lids these 5 divisions will fit perfect in them. ( I'm a recycle fanatic and always try to reuse) .



 If you don't have a container to place it in you can put it in saran wrap and it will keep fine as well. I have to make a note here only because I saw it suggested not long ago on pinterest, please do not use medicine bottles. That is so unsafe especially if your working with littles.

We had lots of fun today and the kids were so excited to have this time together doing something fun with grammy. Next project that lil man wants to do is make him some Gack. LOL

This morning ms Hanny B decided that since bubby go so many awes over his hair she wanted to cut her hair like Bubby's and Papa's hair. Never mind that her mommy got her hair cut yesterday too. SO what did miss sunshine do? She decided she'd find the scissors and take them to her hair. UGH all my grands seem to be born beauticians just like grammy was as a lil one.
As you see her hair in the prior pictures is much longer. Grammy had to give her a shag cut of sorts to compinsate for all the wacky lengths she made.
She wanted to show off her 3rd haircut. Now Hailie wants gramma to cut her hair to her shoulders I said NOT on  your life missy. I'll trim it but it's not getting cut. Told her she'd be in loads of trouble if she pulled a hanny b. HA HA
Here is pics of Hanny B's new do.


 I hope you enjoyed our day and that it has brought
you some inspiration too. Again thanks for sharing this
with us Adelyn! My lil charmed one's are working with
Grammy on a icon for all our thumbs up crafts we find
on Pinterest or other blogs stay tuned. We will send you
a message when it's done so you can add it to your Blog.


Lotsa Love,
Grammy, Jade, Ruby, Lil Man, Hanny B, and Bubby!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment